- Prior to installation, orient the strip so that an imprinted end of a strip is located at the top. Piling-Guards can be closely butted together “end-to-end” for applications requiring strips longer than the standard strip length of 8 feet. Piling-Guard strips can also be cut to desired length using a circular saw. Be sure to align the thick abrasion center surface of the Piling-Guard with the wear or contact surfaces on the piling.
- For installations in tidal areas, begin installing an hour or two before low tide. To allow for boat wakes and high waves, be sure the top of the Piling-Guards are located at least several feet or more above the highest moon tides. Remove shellfish and barnacles from the pilings before installation. Install the lowest screws at lowest tide.
- For lake installations, be sure the top of the Piling-Guard is located at least several feet above the highest lake level to allow for high waves or boat wakes. Install screws that are accessible above water. Be sure to add more screws later if the lake level drops.
- Install one screw near the top of the Piling-Guard strip and double check for proper alignment with any existing wear on surface of piling. Due to chemical make up of all stainless steel screws, they are slightly softer than conventional steel screws and therefore easier to sheer if over tightened. If needed, you can clamp the Piling-Guard strip to piling during installation. The predrilled holes in the Piling-Guard strips reduce installation time and are sized to be compatible with Piling-Guard brand screws. Insert screws into holes and give a twist to engage the point into the strip. This eliminates the need for an extra hand during installation. Continue installing pairs of screws approx 8″ apart, along both mounting flanges in a downward direction while re-checking alignment to piling as you proceed. Install lower screws until you reach the top of the water. You can install additional screws at a later time if the water level drops lower.
- Periodically check security of screws and Piling-Guard to ensure security of the installation.
- Piling-Guards can be removed and re-installed at a later date.
- By far, the most recommended method of installation is to install screws in the portion of Piling-Guards strips that are located above the water and install lower screws when water levels drop. In some very rare cases, it may be desirable to install some portion of Piling-Guards underwater. This may require additional training and approved air powered tools. Never use ANY electrical tool underwater!!!
- Piling-Guards are easy to install. Do not install when there could be slippery ice on the dock. Tools should include a PFD (Personal Floatation Device), saw, battery powered screwdriver and possibly a pry bar if needed. Battery powered screwdrivers are strongly recommended around water. Be sure to place battery chargers in a safe location on dry land. Always try to avoid using plug-in electrically powered tools around water. If plug-in electrical tools are completely unavoidable, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to also use a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) on the power cord that has been tested before each use. NEVER USE PLUG-IN ELECTRICAL TOOLS AROUND WATER WITHOUT A PRE-TESTED GFI SAFETY DEVICE!!!
- Working around water always contains a certain degree of danger, including potentially unsteady & wet slippery surfaces, falling into water & other hazards. Using common sense, thinking clearly and correctly about how to eliminate all dangers is often your best safety protection. Always wear proper safety equipment during installation, including goggles & PFD’s (personal flotation devices) when working in proximity to water.
Click here to go back to Piling-Guard Strips.
Click here for Piling-Guard Testimonials.
Click here for Piling-Guard Videos & photos.
Piling-Guards are made by ServUs Inc.
ServUs Inc – “Products Engineered to Servus Better”
Because Piling-Guards.com or ServUS Corporation has very little control over installation, Piling-Guards.com or ServUS Corporation assumes no liability relating to installation.